Sunday 18 September 2011

Life is More Fun as a Cartoon Character


Hello!  I would like to introduce myself to you. My name is Kyle and this is me as a cartoon character.  As a child I always wonder what it would be like to be in a cartoon, how fun life would be jumping from cloud to cloud, in a world where everything seems so wonderful, vibrant and even the grey rainy days are rich in colours.  This is the power of dreaming which I do often.  It is good to dream, because dreaming allows you to see beyond life’s boundaries.  I guess as a child, I was always looking above and beyond. I never saw lines on a colouring page as barriers but more of a starting point.  When you colour beyond these lines that is when you get to make your own image and really be able to identify with the whole picture.  This is how I derived my titles to this blog.  I realized that this is the kind of teacher I want to be; one who doesn’t put constraints on children’s ideas. I want to provide my students with a starting point that they can freely interpret what is being taught and then draw their own picture to be able to identify and understand better.

I am going to use this blog to share my reflections on my learning’s. It is through looking back on my learnings I will be able to move forward and be the dream teacher I have always dreamed of becoming. Right now I am a cartoon teacher 
(not real) or a picture that is just scribbles of colours.  I must learn the proper tools to be a great teacher.  These tools will allow me to make sense of those scribbled drawing and see the real picture and transform me from a dream cartoon teacher into a real one.  I am excited to have Language Arts as my starting point! 

Language Arts has always been a weakness for me, because I have struggled with Language Arts throughout my whole life I know how important it is to create a positive perception of Language Arts for the young learners.  A positive experience will allow students to create a solid foundation to forever grow from and use in all of their learning environments. 
 

5 comments:

  1. I love that your perspective as a teacher is completely reflective of a child's view. Thinking in terms of colouring outside or inside the lines, and transforming yourself from a cartoon to a real life character is so relevant to the childlike mentality you want to preserve when working in these early grades.

    I think much like the rest of us, you recognize the challenges ahead of getting the tools we need to become effective teachers, and that is largely connected to our ability to relate to our kids and create an environment for them that we would have loved to have (or did indeed have) in the past. I think this will be a great journey for us all as we learn how to create a solid foundation in Language Arts that will allow the children's creativity to really take shape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the Blogosphere, Kyle! I think it's great to look inward and set goals for the type of teacher we want to be. I'm curious too though about your vision for what Language Arts will be like in your future classroom?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovin' your style
    Lovin' no lines
    Lovin' your blog
    Hope it's ok that I rhyme!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Everyone!!

    Carol - to answer your question:

    Language Arts in my classroom will be a learning environment that is supportive and aware of everyone's learning abilities. I would like it to be a fun experience. One where children are happy to read, write, listen and speak out loud. I think this best way to do this is not to put children on the spot to read if they are uncomfortable, or force them to read things they are not interested in. Like the textbook mentioned, I hope to allow students to choose the type of books they like. Or look at different means to understand a story, like drama.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing that vision, Kyle - it sounds like your students will be well supported and empowered.

    Charissa, cute comment!

    ReplyDelete